Psalm 63:1
1 You, God, are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
where there is no water.
Dear friend,
It is said by many theologians that David wrote this psalm in the wilderness of Judah, fleeing for his life from his own son. I'm sure he was famished and I can only imagine the emotions that were going through his mind. However, it is interesting that this particular psalm doesn't contain a single petition but instead an undertone of longing for God. What would I long for in that moment? I've read that if "you're in reasonable shape and in ideal conditions -- that is, not in the heat or cold and not exerting, a human can probably live for about 3 to 5 days without any water."1 Friend, it would be a terrible thing indeed to die from dehydration but everyone on this earth can not live without the grace and mercy of God for an instant. The moment that the Lord appoints us to pass from this world those who know Christ as their salvation will be absent from the body and present with the Lord. When God's plan comes to fruition, nothing will stay his hand as the earth and everything in it is laid bare (2 Peter 3:10).
What are our priorities in this life? Is it family, friends, food or drink? Is it health, wealth or worldly pleasures? What do we earnestly seek for...what do we thirst and long for?
Oh Father, by your mercy, sprinkle our hearts until they are pliable and submissive in your loving hands. Mold us to be more like Jesus and ignite a passion for You that aligns our priorities with your will for us in Christ Jesus.
In Christ,
Mike
No comments:
Post a Comment