Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2.8.11

James 2:14

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?


Dear friend,

Today's verse is one of Holy Spirit conviction in my life. James goes on to answer this question by saying plainly that faith without action is dead. I can't speak for anyone else but I know that one of my strongest temptations is complacency. Merriam-Webster defines complacency as "self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies". Is it any wonder that humility is considered an antonym of complacency? It is pride that allows me to think in any way that I am self-sufficient or self-satisfied.

It is my ardent prayer that we become more aware of the dangers of complacency and trade our selfishness for selflessness. It is even more dangerous in our culture but thanks be to God for the selflessness of Jesus! Thank the Lord for the conviction of the Holy Spirit if He is prompting you now and let us not harden our hearts. May we focus on loving others, especially those that seem difficult to love, and proving that our faith has action by performing the works that have been prepared in advance for us to accomplish through Jesus Christ. If we find ourselves feeling overwhelmed by this commission (as I have) we must remember that with God all things are possible!

In Christ,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment